Sunday, February 8, 2015

Stillness By Sharmini Jayawardena

(first published 27 Jan 2012)
A short poem that captures the travails of the ordinary mind in the throes of meditation, on effort, concentration, sensory distraction and stillness.

"Stillness"

i
wish
 i were
a drop, drip, drip, drip drip
consistent.
i wish i were 
that tree stuck firmly
to the ground.
i wish i were
that door post
see nothing
hear nothing
smell nothing
taste nothing feel nothing,
know nothing 
i wish i stood still
did not get dragged away,
by my eye,
by my ear,
by my nose,
by my tongue,
by my feet,
by my dream,
by the scruff of my neck
by my i, by what is me, by what is mine,
i wish i just stood still.
wish i just stood still.
i just stood still.
just stood still.
stood still.
still.
till.
ill.
ll.
l.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment